The new release 5.1 of the EPCOS Magnetic Design Tool is now available with greater functionality. The software offers an intuitive user interface and a broad range of graphics options. The tool can now be run under Windows 7, in addition to Windows XP and Windows Vista.
The Magnetic Design Tool provides access to the digitized material data for all current EPCOS ferrite materials and allows application-related parameters to be calculated and represented on graphs. In addition, the new version enables users to define the parameters for their own cores and use them in the calculations.
The ferrite materials in the database include N45, T36 and T66 for broadband transformers as well as N51 and N95 for power transformers. A detailed description is contained in the user manual, which is available as a PDF file.
Among the features of the improved tool are:
- New: simulations based on user-defined core parameters
- New: database expanded to include Steinmetz coefficients for power losses
- Display of complex permeability and impedance as a function of frequency
- Transmittable power adjusted for skin and proximity effects (from the wire calculation menu)
- Calculation of the distortion factor (third harmonic) under specific circuit conditions at various temperatures
- Calculation of core loss as a function of signal form
- Specification of wire thickness as per AWG
- Performance factor added for materials N95 and N51
To support design-ins, the data sheets for all materials by application are available