TDK-EPC, a group company of the TDK Corporation, has extended its range of power factor correction (PFC) capacitors: the EPCOS PhaseCap® Compact series now also includes types with voltages of 690, 800, 900 and 1000 V. The capacitors of the B25673A*A* series offer PFC values of between 5 kvar (50 Hz) and 33 kvar (60 Hz) at capacitance values of between 3 x 11 and 3 x 55 µF. Thanks to their compact design with diameters of only 116 and 136 mm at insertion heights of 164 and 200 mm, these capacitors are particularly useful for designing space-saving PFC systems for industrial networks.
With the new types, the PhaseCap Compact series now covers the following voltages: 230, 400, 415, 440, 480, 525, 690, 800, 900 and 1000 V. Based on the proven MKK technology these capacitors can withstand inrush currents of up to 400 times their rated current. The components are PCB-free and self-healing. An integrated overpressure disconnector en-sures additional safety. The capacitors are designed for a case temperature of 65 °C (hot spot temperature up to 85 °C) and a service life of up to 200,000 hours.
The extensive TDK-EPC product range for power factor correction comprises capacitors, contactors and chokes, in addition to controllers and thyristor modules.
- Reactive power: occurs whenever the phase angle between the current and voltage shifts. It is caused by inductive loads such as electric motors and transformers. Reactive power has no use, but is necessarily generated by power plants.
- Power factor correction: reactive power can be almost completely compensated by connecting-in PFC capacitors. This reduces energy costs as well as environmental impacts.
Main features and benefits
- Voltage range from 230 to 1000 V AC
- Capacitance values between 3 x 11 and 3 x 181 µF (complete product range)
- PFC values between 5 kvar (50 Hz) and 33 kvar (60 Hz)