TDK-EPC, a group company of the TDK Corporation, presents a new series of EPCOS MKP AC capacitors with a capacitance range from 2 to 75 µF and radial terminals for PCB mounting. The B3279* series of output filter capacitors features types for voltages up to 400 V AC and can be used in a wide range of output filter modules. Higher capacitance values can be realized by placing several capacitors in parallel in the PCB assembly, thus allowing filter designers and manufacturers to design power converters even up to 500 kW with modular systems. Compared to other AC filtering solutions, the B3279* series offer smaller size with higher capacitance values, higher current density per capacitance and volume, and operation at temperatures up to 105 ºC.
Power electronic designers are implementing more and more complex switching algorithms for pulse-width modulation (PWM) to gain efficiency and power quality. Such designs, however, introduce higher frequencies and harmonics into systems, which must be properly filtered by using LC and LCL filters at the output of the frequency converters. Applications for the new series are, in particular, in star-connected LCL circuits of three-phase power converters (DC/AC or AC/AC) for drives. Further applications include inverters for solar power as well as UPS systems and discrete filters. The capacitors can also be used in single-phase systems.
The B3279* series complements the existing B3292*E/F series of X2 capacitors for 305 V AC, which was designed for input AC filters and discrete EMC filters.
- Output filter modules: Typically realized as star-connected LCL circuits. Output filter modules are used in power converters to filter undesired frequencies and harmonics.
- For output filters in single-phase or three-phase power converters (DC/AC or AC/AC) in drives and solar power systems, as well as in UPS systems and discrete filters.
Main features and benefits
- Smaller size with higher capacitance values
- Higher current density per capacitance and volume
- Automated high-volume production
- Modular EMC filter designs possible
- Operating temperature up to 105 ºC
|Capacitance range [µF] ||2.0 to 75 |
|Maximum continuous AC voltage [50/60 Hz]||250, 300, 350, 400 VRMS |
|High voltage test ||1.5 kVRMS (AC), 10 s |
|Maximum operating temperature [°C]||105 |
|Lead spacing [mm]||27.5 to 52.5 |